Spoilers, Man!

   I go back and forth about Spoilers.  Sometimes I hate them, sometimes I am okay with knowing what is going to happen.
     I think it depends on how invested I am into the thing that I am about to get spoiled on.  Or if I am already sold on the movie and want to see it.  A few examples.
     Recently I saw the Venom movie.  It was not that bad.  I am glad I saw it, it was enjoyable, not great, but a good escape for a few hours.  But the Trailers made it look bad.  It was cringeworthy what they choose to show.  They showed the worst parts of the movie.  Like the Motorcycle scenes are the worst of the whole movie.  I could have done with another trailer that shows, and possibly spoiled some of the bigger plot points to get me on board.  Solo is another recent example of the marketing gets in the way of an enjoyable movie.  The trailers decided to show the wrong parts.  They could of spoiled just a bit more of the story to get butts into seats.  It is a shame, because it was a good, and fun story. 
     But then there are some trailers that show way too much.  Most of them do.  Which is why I now have a policy that once I have made the decision that I want to see the movie or whatever piece of media is being advertised, I go into media blackout.  Like the new Captain Marvel movie coming out, all I needed to see was what she looks like, and now I am sold, I do not want to see any more.  I want to go into the theater blind and have a fun experience learning more about this character and how she will (Spoilers for Infinity war, lol)
      I do think some people get a little too sensitive to spoilers.  It makes it seem like I cannot talk about anything in fear of spoiling someone of a thing they wanted to watch.  So here is some rules for Spoilers.

  1. There should be a time limit for Spoilers.  I think it depends on how big the spoiler is, and how big the piece of media is.  Something big like Infinity War, maybe you should be wary of spoiling the story till it is out on DVD.  If you get spoiled after that time, you really were not that into the story, or you would have made a better effort to get to the theater before your Grandma spoiled that Thanos.... 
  2. TV shows should have a 2 week spoiler free period from when the episode aired.  If you care enough, you will make the time to keep up.  Game of Thrones is a prime example.  Now if I know that you just started, I am not going to be a jerk and spoil it all.  But if you are pretty caught up, and following along, you are going to get spoiled from the internet if you do not keep up
  3. Ask before you Spoil a plot point if the listener cares.  It is sometimes annoying to have to pause all conversation because one person in the group has not seen it.  That person needs to leave so the cool kids can talk.
  4. Not everything is a spoiler.  The fact that there is an Infinity War part 2 is not a spoiler.  Or at least is not a spoiler that you can avoid.  You know that the heroes will prevail, we just don't know how.
  5. Books.  Don't do it.  Especially if it is a long running series.  You must be important not to reveal big story bits.  Books are an experience that you can get lost into, and will take you out of the immersion if it is spoiled.
      Now on the other hand, I have been spoiled on major things before, and I still enjoyed the Movie or whatever.  So, spoilers are not the end of the world.  It is a minor first world problem.  There are very few things that can be totally ruined by spoilers.  Like the Sixth Sense.  The whole story hinges on the end reveal, without it is weak.  Infinity War is still awesome and worthwhile even if you know that Thanos wins and kills everyone.

Comments