How it ends - Netflix Movie

      I usually don't go to Netflix for movies.  Series is where is it at for them.  Why have 2 hours of content when you can have 11.  This was recommended from a podcast I listen to called the Morning Stream, I'll probably talk more about that later.  I had seen this movie pop up automatically like it does when you first start up Netflix.  It looked good, but Netflix's quality control when it comes to movies is spotty at best.  Anyone remember the Cloverfield Paradox?  Originally it was called God Particle, but Paramount realized that it sucked, retooled it to be a Cloverfield movie and sold it to Netflix.  So, that is where my expectations laid when I started this movie. 
      I am going to spoil the movie, so if at any point of my summary, you feel like you want to watch without spoils, skip the rest.  I'll tell you now, I did like this movie, up to the very end, I'll explain later.
      The movie stars Forest Whitaker and the guy that was named Four from the Allegiant series (don't get me started on that one).  It starts with guy not named Four, I forget his name, we will call him John Successful Prettyboy III.  John is in Chicago for reasons, his girlfriend is pregnant in Seattle.  Girlfriend's parents live in a big high-rise apartment in Chicago, John is there having dinner, planning on telling them he wants to marry Girl, but dinner does not go well.  Girl's dad is one of those strict type that no one is good enough for his little angel.  Let's call the Dad Forest, because I forget his story name too.  So, it is morning, (I'm not recapping the whole movie, just the parts needed to explain why I like it) John is due to catch a plane back to Seattle, video chatting Girl (not trying to be sexist, just don't remember anyone's name, you're lucky I know yours) and something happens in Seattle, girl is scared and the call glitches and ends.  John's like that is weird, eh she'll call back.  Goes to airport, and as he is at the gate you see on the flight board all the flights being cancelled in a cascade all at once, then the power goes out.  He goes to Forest's apartment and try to figure out what is going on.  It turns our that, as far that our heroes know, power is now out everywhere in the US.  John and Forest decide to roadtrip it to Seattle to find the Girl.
      Now, this is why I like this movie.  Throughout the whole movie we never actually find out what actually happened.  Just clues and hints.  But it is quite realistic as to how I think things would go down if a world event like this would happen.  No one would know anything.  Phones, internet, satellites would be down.  The whole infrastructure would fall down and fabric of modern society would break down in matter of days, likely hours.  The movie plays with that.  You see as they try to make it to Seattle how quickly things go bad.  Food, gas, security, all scarce in matter of hours.  That is what would happen here.  I remember back, I think it was 2010 they predicted a big snow storm was coming.  They called it Snowmageddon.  All the food at the stores were just gone, well, at least the food you want to eat was all gone.  It ended up not being a big storm, but people still freaked out. 
      The rest of the movie hangs in that playground, and is quite realistic and interesting.  SPOILER FOR THE END, aka How it Ends.  Ha, you see what I did there?  See the title of the movie is....  The movie just ends.  John gets to the Girl, they are safe.  Seattle is rubble.  But we still don't know what happened, they just drive north.  Because Canada will be the only safe place in the end apparently.  Canada is awesome.  Everyone loves Canada, even God, even God can't destroy Canada.  If that kind of thing pisses you off, don't watch it.  I't okay with it.  I get it.  The point of the movie was not what happened, it is what happens when it all falls down. 
      I also liked this movie because it made me revisit my plans and predictions of what will happen in "THE END".  Maybe I will write out what I think will happen and what I plan on doing later.  I'll tell you now, I don't have much faith in humanity to not tear itself apart when the safeguards are taken off.  Unless your name is John Successful Prettyboy III.

Comments